Can Guinea Pigs Eat Honeysuckle?

Can Guinea Pigs Eat Honeysuckle?

As An Amazon Associate We Earn From Qualifying Purchases At No Extra Cost To You



Honeysuckles are woody plants of the genus Lonicera. They are one of the members of Order Dipsacales often known as gland-toothed leaves that have a flat-topped cluster of flowers in cymose with petals fused into a corolla tube which can be regular or bilaterally symmetrical and also have inferior ovaries. Some of these flowers are bushes, and some are climbing plants. 

Honeysuckle has a lovely vine that produces red or yellow flowers, with semi-evergreen leaves which are attractive to hummingbirds, it also produces pretty red berries that birds eat, and it tastes better even after it has been eaten. Honeysuckle grows under full sun or south of the house bed with average fertility soil. This flowery plant offers some health benefits to human beings, but does it do the same to guinea pigs? Can guinea pigs eat honeysuckle? Continue reading this article to find out the answer.

Can Guinea pigs eat honeysuckle?

No, guinea pigs can not eat honeysuckle. This is because honeysuckle comes in various flowers, and some of the flowers may either be edible or toxic for your little cavies depending on which one your guinea pigs munch on. However, you will also see part of the honeysuckle family containing both edible and toxic substances therefore, differentiating them from each other may not be an easy task. Therefore, do not allow your little cavies to move near them because nor feed them to them because they are at risk of picking the part that contains a toxic substance, and this may lead to your guinea pigs suffering from severe health risks. Honeysuckle also contains a decent amount of sugar content and this may also cause a digestive problem for your cavies even if they eat the edible parts.

Guinea Pigs

Can guinea pigs eat honeysuckle berries?

No, guinea pigs can not eat honeysuckle berries. Honeysuckle berries also known as sweet berry, fly honeysuckle, or honeyberry is known as part of the toxic parts of the honeysuckle flower. These berries are toxic, and the amount of their toxicity varies, depending on the type of species of honeysuckle that was given. Thereby, the result may range from non-poisonous to extremely toxic, and some of the symptoms may be diarrhea, vomiting, sweat, and dilated pupils when ingested in a little quantity, but when ingested in high proportion it may result in respiratory failure or death if possible. This is why your guinea pigs should stay away from them.

Can guinea pigs eat honeysuckle leaves or stems?

No, guinea pigs can not eat honeysuckle leaves or stem because they secrete a fluid that causes a lot of discomfort for guinea pigs when it enters their body system. They also produce cyanogenic glycosides and saponins, and this substance produces toxic substances called cyanide when it mixes with their red blood cells, thereby, causing a reduction in the oxygen level in the blood. Among all, they also contain carotenoids which may be dangerous for your pets.

What are the poisonous honeysuckle flowers?

It has been stated above that some of the honeysuckle flowers may be edible while the majority of them can be toxic for hour guinea pigs. However, the exact species or cultivar that carries these toxic substances are yet to be known. This article will highlight the various type of honeysuckle that can cause serious damage to your pets and they are listed below.

Japanese honeysuckle

Japanese honeysuckle is the first honeysuckle flower that should not be given to your little cavies. This flower is also called Lonicera japonica, and they are a hardy perennial plant that has dark green leaves with white flowers on them. The fruits of these plants contain cyanide, and it is dangerous for your pets therefore it shouldn't be fed to them. 

Tartarian honeysuckle

This plant is also called Lonicera tartarica, and it is a hardy shrub plant with light green or blue-green leaves. The color of their flowers is always reddish pink, and their berries are of bright green colors. They also produce toxic substances which make them an un-ideal for your pets

Coral honeysuckle

This is also a variety of honeysuckle that shouldn't be served to your guinea pigs as a meal. This is a result of the toxic substance also present in them. They are also known as Lonicera sempervirens with coral-colored flowers, bright red fruits, and green leaves. Because of their bright colors, this particular plant is known for attracting hummingbirds for pollination. 


Possible health risks of serving honeysuckle to guinea pigs

There are a lot of possible health risks that may arise from feeding honeysuckle to your guinea pigs. Studies have even shown that honeysuckle does not offer many beneficial nutrients to your pigs instead its disadvantages have made up for any advantages that it contains. These are some of the lists of the possible health risks 

Digestive problem

Honeysuckle is enriched with high amounts of sugar and other nutrients, and too much feeding of these flowers to your pets may cause digestive problems like diarrhea, diabetes, cramps, bloating, gas, stool, etc

 Toxicity issues

Honeysuckle has a trace of toxic substances present in them. This toxic substance is called cyanide, and it can only occur if they ingest the cyanogenic glycosides present in the flower thereby, resulting in cyanide. However, if your pets nibble on them, it may not cause any serious health damage

Choking hazards

The berries in honeysuckle may result in choking hazards for your pets if ingested wholly. Your guinea pigs should not even go near honeysuckle berries talkless of ingesting them. And if you find your guinea pigs consuming them, the symptom you should look out for is choking.


No, guinea pigs can not eat honeysuckle because it does not offer any nutritional benefits to your pets instead, you will see them causing a lot of serious damage to your guinea pigs' digestive system. This article has highlighted the various types of honeysuckle that shouldn't be fed to your pets and also the various health risks that may arise from feeding it to them.

Back to blog

Leave a comment