Can Hamsters Eat Apricots? Are they allowed to taste this delicious wonder?
Apricots are extremely nutritious stone fruits that are round in shape; yellowish-orange colored and tart tasting. They look like peaches but are much smaller in size. This fruit also known as Prunus Armeniaca has been grown and produced in Armenia for centuries. They come in varieties and can be consumed as dried or fresh fruit.
In cosmetics, its oil can be used as a moisturizer, massage oil or used to reduce inflammation. For health, they prevent some diseases by supplying the body with minerals, vitamins, fiber and some other nutrients. So can this tasty and nutrient dense fruit be shared with our hamster pet? Let’s find out!
Can Hamsters Eat Apricots?
The answer is yes. Hamsters can eat apricots but in moderation. It mostly depends on their digestive system. These fruits contain a lot of nutrients like vitamin A, fiber, iron, potassium etc needed by their body in high supply but it also contains excess sugar. These excess sugars can be harmful to your pet if overfed. They should not be served the leaves or stone either as it is toxic for them.
Can Syrian Hamsters Eat Apricot?
Yes, this larger and more robust specie can eat apricots. Though their digestive system is different from humans, it is still strong enough for it. However, they should be fed once a week with a small sized piece of the fruit.
Can Roborovski Hamsters Eat Apricot?
The digestive system of this specie of hamsters is similar to that of the Syrians. So yes they can eat apricot. They should be fed once a week with no more than a quarter teaspoon serving of apricot.
Can Campbell’s Dwarf Hamsters Eat Apricot?
It really isn’t best to feed them apricots because this specie comes with a weaker digestive system. If you must, then give a paw-sized piece of apricot one at a time every two to three weeks.
Can Winter White Dwarf Hamsters Eat Apricot?
This specie also comes with a weaker digestive system and are very likely to develop diabetes and obesity, so care must be taken when feeding them apricot. However, it is advised not to feed them the stone fruit at all.
Can Chinese Hamsters Eat Apricot?
These are similar to the winter white hamsters since they are both easily susceptible to diabetes and obesity. They could be fed apricots in small, paw-sized portion once every two or three weeks.
Benefits of Apricots to Hamsters
Apricots are packed with a lot of nutrients attached with so many benefits that can be reaped by both humans and hamsters alike. Fresh apricot can help prevent dehydration and stomach problems like constipation. It may also promote eye health since it contains vitamin A. For hamsters, these benefits can only be enjoyed when fresh apricots are fed to them in moderation.
Some Nutritive Contents found in Apricots are as follows:
Some health benefits of apricots to hamsters include:
- Antioxidants present in apricots reduce the risk of cancer and ageing in hamsters caused by free radicals.
- Apricots contain vitamin C which can help prevent diseases like scurvy in hamsters. It also helps in iron absorption and wound healing process.
- They also contain vitamin E which ensures a healthier, smoother skin and fur in hamsters.
- This fruit contains nutrients that are vital for skin, cartilage, bones and mucosal membrane maintenance and functioning.
- They are a great source of fiber. This fiber not only aids digestion but can also help prevent diabetes and obesity. It also maintains cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart disease in your furry pet.
- Apricots promote good vision because it contains the proper nutrients needed for it. Vitamin A and Beta Carotene present in the fruit are responsible for promoting eye health.
- Apricots can help to reduce inflammation in hamsters since it contains a molecule known as Anthocyanin.
- Apricots can help keep hamsters hydrated and prevent constipation.
- Minerals like potassium helps to balance fluids in the body and improve proper functioning of both brain and heart. It also helps in muscle development.
Primary Concerns of Feeding Apricots to Hamster
It is very important that they should be given moderate amounts of apricots. When they are overfed they could run the risks of illnesses like obesity, diarrhea and diabetes. They could also suffer from nutritional deficiency if they end up not eating their usual primary food. Therefore, you should be alert and take care not to invite some health problems to your pet hamster.
Can you Feed Dried Apricots to your Hamster?
Hamsters have cheek pouches that keep their food fresh and dry. They do not contain saliva and are used daily to hide food they would prefer to snack on later. Dried fruits in this case, apricots, are sticky and can get stuck in their cheek pouches. This can prevent hamsters from carrying their food and if they are not removed and left for long may rot and cause infection. So it is best to avoid dried apricots and opt for the fresh pieces.
How to give Apricots to your Hamster?
- Have them washed properly to remove any pesticides that may have been used
- They should not be served as sauces or juice but plain
- They should be cut into dime sized or paw sized pieces
- Apricots already contain sugar so they should not be sweetened. Excess sugar intake can cause diabetes.
- Take care not to feed them the apricot stone or leaves as it is toxic to them
Apricots are very delicious fruits that can boost your hamster’s health and immune system. Considering their digestive system and size, they should be fed in moderation, preferably as treats or snacks. For their general health, do not include the apricot stone or leaves in their diet because of its cyanogenic properties. Finally, you should include a healthy mix of other fruits and vegetables considered safe for them into their diet.