Most people incorporate fruits into their diet regularly. Fruits are needed to fortify the body with vital nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They offer a lot of health benefits including preventing vitamin deficiency and fighting off diseases.
Some pets can have fruits too. Most of the time it depends on how well they can absorb and digest them. Hamsters do not possess a strong stomach like we humans do but is it strong enough for them to have some fruits? Well let's find out!
Can Hamsters Eat Fruits?
Also it is important to avoid the seeds too. This is because the seeds of most fruits could be poisonous to them and may even cause gastrointestinal obstruction if they try to swallow it. Some fruits also possess high amounts of sugar which are known to cause diabetes and excessive weight gain.
Before serving your hamster fruits, they must be washed thoroughly to get rid of dirt, germs and possibly pesticides. The amount or portion you serve your hamster depends on their size and digestive system.
Can Dwarf Hamsters Eat Fruits?
Yes, they can eat fruits but only sparingly since they are more prone to diabetes than the other breeds of hamsters. They can also gain weight easily so more attention should be drawn to what they eat and how much they eat it. The more sugary the fruit gets, the lesser they eat.
Can Syrian Hamsters Eat Fruits?
Yes, a Syrian hamster can eat certain types of fruits but not too much. Their digestive system is stronger and can accommodate more portions of fruit than the other smaller breeds. While they are very robust, you should not serve Syrians more than the recommended dietary ration because too much can also lead to early stages of diabetes and obesity in this hamster breed.
Can Roborovski Hamsters Eat Fruits?
Yes, the Robos can also have them in small quantities. They can safely have fruits as treats every once in a while. Anything more than the appropriate amount they should be given can sometimes cause long lasting health complications.
What Fruits Are Safe For Your Hamster To Eat?
- Some fruits like grapes, apples and cherries are relatively safe for them to eat. The seed on the other hand should not be fed to your hamster as it could be a choking hazard to them.
- Sweet fruits like banana, apricot, mango and pineapple are also safe but should be given in very small quantities.
- Berries like strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries can be eaten by hamsters without concern as long as it is given moderately.
Other types of fruit they can eat include:
Dates without their pits
What Fruits Are Unsafe For Your Hamster To Eat?
- To start off this list we place citrus at the top. This type of fruit is a favorite among humans because of the health benefits they carry but to your pet, it is toxic. They are very acidic and can cause your hamster abdominal or stomach pain. Citrus fruits include oranges, tangerines, clementines, lemon and lime.
- Another fruit that your pet should avoid is the star fruit. It contains a neurotoxic compound called caramboxin that can be fatal to hamsters.
Other fruits that should be kept away from hamsters are:
Can Hamsters Eat Fruit Chips?
Yes, hamsters can eat fruit chips made from dried slices of fruits like bananas. It should be given moderately but make sure no salt, sweetener or preservatives was added. They are wonderful healthy treats your pet can enjoy.
What Health Benefits Can Your Hamster Gain From Eating Fruits?
Fruits are one of the best sources of vitamins and minerals. They are also good sources of fiber and antioxidants where they play an important role in improving your hamster's health and wellbeing. Some benefits your hamster could get from eating fruits are:
- They could help prevent vitamin deficiencies in hamsters. Since they are rich in nutrients like vitamins A and C, your hamster wouldn't be lacking in them.
- They can help to fight and reduce the risk of some chronic diseases like diabetes.
- Certain fruits contain phytochemicals that are vital for improving bone health and reducing inflammation.
- Antioxidants fight against cancer and other diseases caused by free radicals. They work to eliminate these radicals and repair damages to cells.
- Fruits contain minerals like potassium which promotes heart health by lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
- Potassium also helps to prevent kidney stones that may occur if your hamster consumes food rich in oxalate.
- The fiber in fruits can act as roughages where they aid digestion, prevent constipation and ease bowel movement in hamsters.
What Side Effects Can Hamsters Experience From Having Too Many Fruits?
It usually boils down to obesity and diabetes because most of them contain high sugar content but some can cause issues in the digestive tract.
Raspberry is safe for hamsters to eat but when it is consumed excessively can cause health problems like diabetes, urinary tract infections, bladder stones, stomach cramps and gas.
Blueberries are also safe but they are too sweet. This is why it is very important your hamster takes them as little treats occasionally and not regularly. Too much could cause an upset stomach, gas, bloating or diarrhea in hamsters.
Coconut when eaten in large quantities can speed up weight gain in hamsters while watermelon, with its high water content, can cause bloating and diarrhoea.
Yes, hamsters can eat certain types of fruit. These fruits can provide your pet with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and roughages. These nutrients help to boost their immunity, protect them from diseases and promote digestive health.
Fruits must be washed properly, in some cases, chopped into tiny pieces and served moderately. Feeding too much could cause digestive complications.