Doritos are one of the most popular snacks there is. Humans enjoy this crunchy snack, either by itself or with tasty dips. It is safe to say that if you are a Doritos lover, you will almost always have a bag of it lying on your counter. Your cat may wander away and find your half-eaten bag of Doritos. And now, you are probably wondering, is it okay for my cat to have some Doritos chips?
Is Doritos safe for cats? The answer is yes, cats can safely eat Doritos but it is not recommended for them. Doritos are a mostly salty snack that humans love. But what about cats? Do cats love Doritos? Is it nutritional for them? Keep reading to know more about feeding Doritos to your cat.
Can Cats Eat Doritos?
Cats can eat Doritos. However, it is not recommended for them because it offers no nutritional benefits. Doritos is majorly made up of carbohydrates which cats require in small quantities, hence they can become obese if they eat too much. Also, the seasonings on the chip can be toxic to your cat. While your cat may enjoy licking off the seasonings on the chip, you shouldn't allow it to happen often.
Will Doritos Harm My Cat?
The main ingredient in Doritos is maize, which is not by itself harmful to your cat. But the other ingredients like vegetable oil and salt are the real threats to your cat. Cats do not need plenty of salt in their diet, meanwhile, Doritos are usually very salty. This is bad for your cat as it may suffer from salt poisoning.
Cats are obligate carnivores that require meat to grow properly. As a result, their digestive system is not designed to handle plant-based foods. So, if eat snacks like Doritos, they may suffer from stomach upset or vomiting.
Most cat owners are worried that their cat may experience choking while trying to eat the crunchy snack. But that's not likely to happen. Your cat is more likely to lick the snack than try to munch it. Some cats may be enticed by the taste of the seasonings on the chip rather than the corn chip itself. You may sometimes find them with their heads in an empty chip bag.
The seasoning dust which may include dried cheese powder, skim milk powder, onion powder, and garlic powder are potential toxins to your cat. Most adult cats are lactose intolerant. That means dairy products like cheese and milk are sure to give them a stomach ache.
Also, the by far the most harmful ingredients in Doritos are the onion powder and garlic powder. These two ingredients are toxic to your cat. While one single chip makes contains a negligible amount of these ingredients, if your cat eats too much, it may become sick. Although not all Doritos flavors contain these seasonings but make sure that if you have a chip bag of onion or garlic-flavored Doritos, your cat won't be able to find it.
What Are The Effects Of Eating Doritos?
- Obesity: Doritos are made of carbohydrates and other ingredients that do not benefit your cat. Cats do not require large amounts of carbohydrates. Hence, they can become obese if they eat too many Doritos chips.
- Salt poisoning: Doritos are a very salty snack. This excess salt can lead to sodium-ion poisoning in your cat. This can cause various health crises like tremors, seizures, or high fevers. Sodium-ion poisoning is rare but can occur nonetheless. The best way to avoid this is to keep the snack away from your cat.
- Indigestion: Some Doritos may contain genetically modified maize. This may cause irritations in your cat's digestive system which may lead to stomach upset or diarrhea. Generally, cats are not wired to digest plant-based foods, this means they may suffer from indigestion every time they eat a couple of Doritos chips.
- Anemia: The major toxic culprits in Doritos are garlic and onion. These seasonings can make cats anemic by making it difficult for their blood cells to transport oxygen. Your cat's life may be threatened if they eat too many ginger or onion-flavored Doritos chips.
- Nutrient deficiency: Doritos do not offer any nutritional benefits to cats. Rather, it poses a threat to their health. Doritos are junk food that should not be included in your cat's diet.
How Often Can I Give Doritos To My Cat?
Not very often, I'm afraid. Doritos are generally safe for cats but that doesn't mean they should eat them. Doritos are junk food that doesn't benefit your cat. What's more, it has the potential to cause your cat to be sick.
Cats are more interested in licking the spices on the chips than eating them. However, if they were to eat it, it is best to crush it into small bite-sized pieces to prevent choking. Your cat can eat one or two Doritos chips occasionally, maybe once a week but it should not become a regular part of their diet.
Can Kittens Eat Doritos?
Kittens should not be given Doritos. Kittens are still at a delicate stage of growth and require only a complete and balanced diet to grow properly. Doritos offer no nutritional benefits to your little furry guy.
The seasonings pose a big threat to their health. The salt content in Doritos is too high for your kitten's body and as such, it should be avoided at all costs.
Also, the primary ingredient is corn which is carbohydrates. Kittens require a protein-rich diet, rather than carbs, to develop normally. This makes Doritos a bad snack choice for your kitten. The specially formulated cat food for kittens is best for their well-being. However, you can speak with your vet for other healthy snack choices.
Cats can eat Doritos but they shouldn't. Doritos contain nutrients that can be toxic to your cat. Also, Doritos contains no nutrient that can benefit your cat.
In conclusion, cats can eat one or two Doritos chips occasionally and this is not likely to cause any health issues. However, you must ensure that it doesn't exceed this amount to avoid long-term complications.